Conagra Brands, Inc. (NYSE:CAG) was founded in 1919, formerly known as Conagra Foods (or: ConAgra Foods, Inc.), in 2016 Lamb Weston was spin-off and changed to its current name in November of 2011. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, with 12,600 full-time employees, it is the largest packaged food company in the United States and the leading food service manufacturer in North America.
Conagra Brands new logo
ConAgra Foods (CAG):
ConAgra Foods Group has 33 internationally renowned brands, divided into many subsidiaries, which are responsible for catering services, vegetable products, frozen foods, dairy products, refrigerated products, meat products, poultry products and trade. ConAgra Corporation’s most famous brands for families include Healthy Choice, Butterball, Banquet, Hunt’s, etc.
ConAgra Foods is a food company focused on the North American market. The company is divided into 5 departments to operate : Grocery & Snacks (food and snacks), Refrigerated & Frozen (refrigerated and frozen food), International (international department), Foodservice (catering service) ), and Commercial (commercial sector).
1. Grocery & Snacks ——Mainly provide branded and shelf-stable foods in various retail channels in the United States;
2. Refrigerated & Frozen —— Provide brand, low-temperature refrigerated or frozen food in various retail channels in the United States.
3. International ——Mainly provide branded foods in various temperature states (normal temperature or low temperature) in retail and catering channels outside the United States.
4. Foodservice ——Provide branded and customized foods, such as meats, dishes, cut potatoes, sauces and various customized delicacies, packaged and sold to American restaurants and other food service organizations.
5. Commercial ——Provide branded and private label foods and raw materials mainly for commercial, catering, catering services, food manufacturing and industrial customers.
Before the reorganization in 2016, it was divided into 3 departments to operate:
- ConAgra Foods Consumer Foods Department: Provides many branded foods, including various meals, main dishes, condiments, snacks, desserts, and transports them to grocery stores, convenience stores and other retail channels through freezing, refrigeration, and room temperature distribution. Its brands include Alexia, ACT II, Banquet, Blue Bonnet, Chef Boyardee, DAVID, Egg Beaters, Healthy Choice, Hebrew National, Hunt’s, Marie Callender’s, Odom’s Tennessee Pride, Orville Redenbacher’s, PAM, Peter Pan, Reddi-wip, Slim Jim , Snack Pack, Swiss Miss, Van Camp’s, Wesson.;
- ConAgra Foods Commercial Food Department: Provides Lamb Weston, Spicetec Flavors & Seasonings brand frozen sweet potatoes, vegetable products, spices, and frozen baked goods. The customer base is mainly commercial customers, such as catering and food manufacturing;
- ConAgra Foods’ private label department: sells it on retail channels such as grocery stores and convenience stores under its own brand. The product categories include instant cereals, condiments, pasta, and baked goods.
ConAgra Foods (CAG) History:
- In 1919, ConAgra was established by Frank Little and Alva Kinney after the merger of four grain factories, and was named Nebraska Consolidated Mills (NCM);
- In 1971, Nebraska Consolidated Mills was renamed ConAgra;
- In 1993, ConAgra acquired a total of 500 million US dollars in various small food companies;
- In 1998, ConAgra Foods acquired several brands from Nabisco for US$480 million;
- On November 27, 2012, ConAgra announced the acquisition of Ralcorp Holdings Inc. for US$4.95 billion. The transaction was completed in January 2013, making ConAgra the largest privately-owned food company in the United States;
- On July 14, 2014, ConAgra announced the acquisition of TaiMei Potato Industry Limited in Inner Mongolia;
- On October 1, 2015, ConAgra Foods announced 1,500 job cuts;
- November 18, 2015, ConAgra Foods announced its Rambo Weston (Lamb Weston) sector spin-off into an independent company located in Kennewick, Washington. It was also announced that ConAgra Foods will change its name to Conagra Brands when it relocates its headquarters to Chicago in 2016;
- At the end of June 2016, the headquarters of ConAgra Foods officially moved to Chicago;
- On November 9, 2016, the spin-off of Lamb Weston was officially completed, and at the same time, ConAgra Foods was renamed ConAgra Brands;
- On September 22, 2017, Conagra announced the acquisition of Angie’s Boomchickapop popcorn maker Angie’s Artisan Treats. The acquisition was completed on October 23, 2017;
- In June 2018, Conagra Brands nearly completed the acquisition of Pinnacle Foods for US$8.1 billion (including US$10.9 billion in debt attacks) . After the completion of the acquisition , Conagra Brands will become the world’s second largest refrigerated and frozen food company after Nestlé the company.