Liminal BioSciences Inc. (NASDAQ:LMNL, TSX:PLI) was founded in 1988, formerly known as Prometic Life Sciences Inc., changed its current name in October 2019, headquartered in Laval, Canada , with 487 full-time employees, is a biotechnology company The pharmaceutical company has two drug discovery platforms that focus on unmet medical needs.
Liminal BioSciences Inc. (LMNL):
Prometic Life Sciences Inc. was established in 1988 and is a commercial branch of affinity chromatography (affinity chromatography) research at Cambridge University. Its founder is the current president and CEO Pierre Laurin, and his research has laid the foundation for the company’s products. On May 19, 1998, the company was listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
Prometic Life Sciences Inc. is a controversial Canadian biopharmaceutical company. From the beginning of 2018 to the beginning of 2019, the share price of Prometic Life Sciences fell 79%. In response, Prometic carried out a dilutive company reorganization, which wiped out most of its shareholders’ equity. When Prometic sought permission from the Toronto Stock Exchange for reasons of “financial distress” without a shareholder vote, the company’s shareholders were refused to vote. In October 2019, the company allowed its shareholders to vote on the name change to Liminal BioSciences Inc.
Most of Liminal BioSciences Inc.’s products are based on affinity chromatography. One use of this process is to purify drugs, reduce impurities, and thereby reduce side effects. The second purpose is to remove pathogens from human blood. In 2002, ProMetic formed a joint venture with the American Red Cross to remove pathogens and viruses from collected blood. The third application is to extract and purify therapeutic proteins from human plasma, and then use them in the production of therapeutic drugs and orphan drugs.
Liminal BioSciences Inc.’s business scope is divided into three parts : Small Molecule Therapeutics, Plasma Derived Therapeutics and Bioseparations.
- Small molecule therapy department : produces products for patients with fibrosis, cancer and autoimmune diseases. The company’s most outstanding product is the anti-fibrosis product PBI-4050, which addresses unmet medical needs such as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, Alström syndrome and other fibrosis indications.
- Plasma-derived therapy department : Provides plasma protein purification system, which is a multi-product sequential purification method for extracting and purifying therapeutic proteins from human plasma. It is also engaged in the development of Ryplazim to treat congenital plasminogen deficiency.
- Bioseparation department : develop and manufacture affinity absorbents and analog ligand purification platforms, which are used by pharmaceutical and medical companies in the extraction and purification manufacturing process.
In addition, Liminal BioSciences Inc. has also developed methods to recover and purify a variety of other proteins from plasma, including intravenous immunoglobulin, α-interinhibitor protein, fibrinogen, α1 antitrypsin and C1 esterase inhibitor .
Liminal BioSciences is headquartered in Laval, Quebec. In addition:
- There are R&D institutions in the UK, the US and Canada
- Has production facilities in the UK and Canada