Sohu.com Limited (NASDAQ: SOHU) is one of China’s three major portals ( Sohu , Sina , Netease ). The company was founded in Beijing in 1996 and has 7,800 full-time employees.
Sohu is an Internet Chinese portal site. In 1995, Sohu founder Zhang Chaoyang returned to China after graduating from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the United States. He used venture capital to create Atsson Information Technology Co., Ltd., and officially launched Sohu in 1998. In 2000, Sohu was listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market in the United States .
The products developed by Sohu include Sogou Pinyin Input Method, Sogou Wubi Input Method, Sogou Music Box, Sogou Browser, Sohu Video, independent search engine Sogou and online game portal Changyou .
Sohu is the only Internet sponsor of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and the first Internet content sponsor in the history of the Olympic Games.
Although Sohu claims to be China’s largest portal in its homepage title, its Alexa ranking is lower than similar portals such as Tencent and Sina . In 2018, it ranked 5th in China on Alexa, second only to Tencent in portals. It is currently one of the top five video networks in China ( Youku , iQiyi , Tencent Video, Mango TV).
Sohu is an Internet media, search, online game and wireless value-added service group based in the Chinese market. It owns an Internet business composed of portals Sohu.com, online game company Changyou , community website chinaren, real estate website Focus.com, Sogou and other brands line. At present, Sohu’s revenue is mainly composed of three parts: brand advertising, online games, and wireless value-added.
Sohu’s business involves four areas of media, video, search and games.
- Sogou: 38.35% shares: search engine websites.
- Sohu News: A news portal website with sub-pages divided into domestic, international, social, finance, IT, Olympics, sports, entertainment, automobiles, real estate, culture, tourism, health, and military.
- Sohu.com: One of China’s famous portals.
- Sohu Video: A copyrighted video playback platform provided by Sohu.
- Sohu Community: A large-scale online community service provided by Sohu.
- ChinaRen: Online alumni record.
- 17173: Online game information website.
- Focus real estate network: real estate website.
- Changyou: 67.7% shares and 81.4% voting rights.
- Seventh Avenue: 70% of the shares.
Sohu.com (SOHU) History:
- On November 1, 1995, Dr. Chaoyang Zhang returned to the motherland from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In August of the following year, Sohu’s predecessor “Aitexin Information Technology Co., Ltd.” was founded based on venture capital. In February 1998, Aitexin launched Sohu, China’s first large-scale classified search search engine turned out, and the Sohu brand was born. In 1999, Sohu launched news and content channels, laying the embryonic form of a comprehensive portal website and ushering in the era of Chinese Internet portals.
- On July 12, 2000, Sohu was officially listed on NASDAQ (NASDAQ: SOHU), and developed from a well-known domestic company to an international brand. In 2000, Sohu acquired ChinaRen Alumni Records, the largest youth community in China, and established the status of the largest Chinese website in China. In the third quarter of 2002, Sohu achieved full profitability in the domestic Internet industry for the first time. This was an epoch-making milestone in the development of China’s Internet, which drove the full popularity of Chinese concept stocks on Nasdaq.
- On April 2, 2009, Sohu Changyou (NASDAQ: CYOU ) , a subsidiary of Sohu , was successfully listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market in the United States. It was officially called “2009 China’s First IPO” by Nasdaq. Sohu therefore It has also become the first “Gemini” of a Chinese Internet company in Nasdaq (the second is Sina and Weibo ).
- At present, Sohu’s portal business has formed an influential and credible news center, a fashion and cultural center with the largest scale and influence on the Chinese Internet, and a sports center loved by sports fans. At the same time, with its strong media strength and industrial resources, it has meticulously built the automobile, real estate, and financial industry divisions to provide authoritative information for Chinese netizens.
- In terms of game business, Changyou is a leading online game developer and operator in China. It was listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market in April 2009. Changyou has a leading independent research and development technology platform and a top operating team. Its self-developed “Tianlong Ba Bu” is one of the most popular massively multiplayer online role-playing games in China. Changyou is currently one of the top three game companies in China.
- In terms of online video, Sohu Video is one of the most competitive and influential integrated video platforms in China. It has built the largest video resource repository in China, covering hundreds of thousands of TV series, movies, documentaries, animation works, and domestic and foreign Hundreds of variety shows. According to data from the well-known research company iResearch in February 2014, Sohu Video ranked second in the video industry in terms of monthly and daily independent users.
- In terms of search business, Sohu launched the world’s first third-generation interactive Chinese search engine Sogou Search on August 3, 2004. Sogou currently has Sogou search, Sogou input method, Sogou browser and other products. According to statistics from iResearch, as of the end of December 2013, the number of active users on the PC side of Sogou input method reached 458 million, and the number of active users on the mobile terminal of Sogou input method reached nearly 200 million, which is an absolute leader in the market.
- In terms of mobile Internet, the Sohu News client is China’s largest mobile media platform. It pioneered the instant news + subscription model in 2012 and became the first portal news client to launch a “personalized” reading function in 2014. As of December 2013, the number of installed and activated Sohu news clients was 185 million, and the total subscription volume exceeded 820 million. Sohu Video Client is one of the largest mobile video playback platforms in China, with leading playback speed and rich original high-definition video content. Sohu Video Client has smooth speed and simple operation, supports high-definition video, offline download, and provides a one-stop video playback solution for users. In addition, the average daily UV of mobile phone Sohu, which uses the mobile browser as the portal, is as high as 75 million.
- At present, Sohu has initially realized the ideal of “making the Internet an indispensable part of the lives of the Chinese people” established from the beginning of its establishment. In the process of explosive growth of Chinese Internet users, Sohu has always provided quality services to most Chinese Internet users. According to the statistics of iResearch in March 2014, advertisers’ advertising on Sohu for a week can affect about 90% of Internet users in mainland China.