Weis Markets, Inc. (NYSE: WMK) was founded in 1912 and is headquartered in Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA, with 22,000 full-time employees. It is a food retail company that operates a chain of food stores.
Weis Markets (WMK):
Weis Markets’ food retail stores sell groceries, dairy products, frozen foods, meat, seafood, fresh produce, flowers, medical services, cooked food products, prepared foods, baked goods, beer and wine, fuel, and general merchandise items, etc. Such as: health care, beauty care and household products.
The retail business of West Markets is mainly operated under the Weis Markets brand name, which is also used in the company’s product lines and promotional activities, such as: Weis, Weis 2 Go, Weis Wonder Chicken, Price Freeze, Weis Gas-n-Go and Weis Nutri -Facts etc.
As of December 31, 2016, Weis Markets operates 204 retail food stores, including 4 stores in Delaware, 50 stores in Maryland, 5 stores in New Jersey, 9 stores in New York, and Pennsylvania. 121 stores, 13 stores in Virginia, and 2 stores in West Virginia.
As of December 31, 2018, West Markets owns and operates 200 retail food stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Weis Markets (WMK) history:
- In 1912, Harry and Sigmund Weis brothers founded Weis Pure Foods in Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA, which was the predecessor of West Market;
- In 1915, opened a second store in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania;
- In 1933, Weis Markets had opened 115 chain stores in 15 central counties in Pennsylvania;
- In the 1940s, its newspaper advertisement first appeared as “Weis Super Markets” and later “Weis Markets”;
- In 1946, Robert F. Weis, son of founder Harry Weis, joined the company;
- In 2009, Weis acquired 11 Giant Markets stores in Southern New York State, which were then closed in 2012;
- In 2012, Weis acquired 3 Genuardi stores.