IHS Inc. (NYSE: IHS) was founded in 1959 and is headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, USA. It has 9,000 full-time employees. It is a company that provides information, research information and analysis for global multinational companies, governments, small businesses, and professional and technical personnel in various industries. The company is a leading provider of key information services for global industry information.
Update : On July 13, 2016, IHS Inc. merged with Markit Ltd. to form the current IHS Markit Ltd.
IHS Inc. (IHS):
IHS is a provider of key information, products, solutions and services. Its main customers cover multiple industries such as energy, defense, aerospace, construction, electronics, and automobile manufacturing. It provides complete information solutions to improve customer efficiency and enhance Customer competitive advantage, and provide decision support for customers at all stages of the product development life cycle.
IHS is divided into three departments to operate: Resources, Transportation, Consolidated Markets & Solutions (CMS).
- Resources : Provide information and analysis of oil wells, oil pipelines, regulatory and mineral property rights, oil and gas fields, oil-producing basins, operating assets, and power and industrial equipment; processing and manufacturing data; capital expenditures, costs, prices, production, trade, demand and Industry analysis and forecast of production capacity, as well as training, strategic development and project development services; contracting/organizing annual meetings of related industries. This department mainly serves the oil and gas, coal, power and public utilities, and chemical industries;
- Transportation : Provide information and forecasts on the production and sales of light vehicles, medium and heavy commercial vehicles, powertrains, auto parts and technical systems; provide performance evaluation tools and marketing solutions for automobile manufacturers, dealers and institutions; provide shipping And trade analysis services; aerospace, defense and security analysis services;
- CMS : Provide product design solutions, provide information and insights to design products, engineering projects, solve technical problems, and solve supply chain challenges; technology, media and telecommunications solutions; provide information, research and tools to support a series of business decisions And process, including: capital investment, country entry strategy, acquisition, annual strategic planning process, monthly/quarterly production and sales forecast.
To summarize briefly, IHS Inc.’s products and services include:
- Industry data and analyses (Industry data and analyses)
- Technical documents (Technical documents)
- Custom software applications
- Consulting services and industry expertise (Consulting services and industry expertise)
IHS Inc. (IHS) acquisition information:
IHS has embarked on an aggressive acquisition and expansion path in the past few years, acquiring the following companies, including:
- PartMiner’s CAPS (Computer Assisted Product Selection) electronic component database
- The world’s largest economic organization-Global Insight, serving 3,800 industrial, entry and government customers worldwide
- On June 12, 2007, it acquired Jane’s Information Group, which is a global information provider for the aerospace and aerospace defense industries and government agencies
- On December 20, 2007, acquired the leading coal market research company McCloskey Group
- Acquired Dolphin Software, Inc., which is a company that provides material safety data sheet (MSDS) management, chemical management, environmental reporting, and chemical management services
- Acquired a company that provides greenhouse gas management, air, water and waste management, internal compliance assurance, incident management, emission allowances and credit portfolio management company-Environmental Software Providers (ESP)
- In 2008, acquired Prime Publications Limited
- In 2009, acquired the remaining 50% of Lloyd’s Register and renamed it IHS Fairplay
- Acquired the world’s leading energy research and consulting company-John S. Herold, Inc.
- On March 17, 2010, it acquired CSM Worldwide, a Detroit-based automotive forecasting agency, for 27 million US dollars
- On May 5, 2010, Quantitative Micro Software was acquired for approximately US$40 million
- On September 7, 2010, it acquired Access Intelligence’s Chemical and Energy Products business
- On September 22, 2010, acquired two leading environmental health and safety information companies-Atrion International and Syntex Management Systems for a total of 80 million US dollars
- On November 2, 2010, acquired technology research expert iSuppli and London media research company Screen Digest for 95 million US dollars
- On April 18, 2011, acquired market intelligence company ODS-Petrodata
- On April 27, 2011, Dyadem International, Ltd., an operational risk management company, was acquired
- On May 4, 2011, it acquired three companies, CMAI (Chemical Industry Information), CSM (South American Automotive Industry Information) and EIATrack (Environmental Regulatory Information)
- On August 11, 2011, Seismic Micro-Technology was acquired
- Singles’ Day in 2011, acquired energy consulting company Purvin & Gertz
- On March 22, 2012, acquired IMS Research
- On July 11, 2012, acquired the leader of semantic search technology-Invention Machine
- On July 12, 2012, acquired engineering data company GlobalSpec, Inc.
- On April 5, 2013, acquired Fekete Associates, a reservoir engineering software and service company
- On June 20, 2013, it acquired PFC Energy, a global consulting company specializing in consulting services in the oil and gas industry
- On July 15, 2013, it acquired RL Polk & Company, the owner of Carfax, an information and analysis service provider for the automotive industry
- On November 6, 2014, acquired DisplaySearch and Solarbuzz
- On Singles’ Day in 2014, it acquired JOC Group (the Journal of Commerce), the world’s leading supplier of US maritime import and export trade data
- On December 16, 2014, Infonetics was acquired, and the target was an international market research company serving the global communication technology market
- On April 20, 2015, acquired RootMetrics, a leader in the wireless network analysis industry
- On February 10, 2016, it acquired OPIS (Oil price information service), the world’s most comprehensive source of oil pricing and news information.