Samsonite International SA (OTCMKT: SMSEY, OTCMKT: SMSOF, Hong Kong Stock Exchange: 1910) is an American company that designs, manufactures and sells luggage, backpacks and other products. In 1910, it was founded by Jesse Schwayder (Jesse Schwayder). ) Was founded in Denver, Colorado, and began to use the “Samsonite” brand in 1941, and the company was renamed “Samsonite” in 1966. Samsonite Company is registered in Luxembourg, listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange on June 16, 2011, and has 12,400 full-time employees.
Samsonite International (SMSEY):
Samsonite’s product line is extensive, including suitcases, travel bags, travel accessories, business briefcases, laptop bags, small leather goods, outdoor products, and children’s products. Its name is derived from the “Bible” Hercules Samson (Samson), to symbolize solidity and durability.
Excellent and outstanding product quality, design style synchronized with the times, thoughtful practicality and reliability, and perfect after-sales service have made Samsonite (Samsonite) won the love and recognition of consumers all over the world. In the United States, Samsonite has 90% visibility, and in Europe it is also as high as 70%.
Brands of Samsonite International (SMSEY):
- American Tourister
- High Sierra
Samsonite International (SMSEY) History:
Samsonite, a luggage brand with a century-old history and world-renowned. Samsonite is not just a professional suitcase manufacturer, as long as it is a bag, it can be packaged well. Samsonite uses high-tech artificial technology and advanced materials to research and develop new products and redefine durability, versatility, ergonomic design and safety standards.
As early as the 19th century, a large number of gold mines gathered in the western United States. Countless Americans flocked there with “gold rush dreams”, and a suitcase next to them was filled with all their belongings. With the arrival of the end of the “Gold Rush”, in 1882, Samsonite founder Jesse Schwedder was born in Denver, Colorado, in the western United States. Since childhood, Schweider has felt the irreplaceable role of suitcases from those rushing gold prospectors. Perhaps it was the suitcase plot of childhood. Schweder went to a New York suitcase company as a salesperson in his 20s.
- In 1910, Jesse Schwayder founded the Schwayder Trunk Manufacturing Company in Denver, Colorado; in 1966, the company changed its name to “Samsonite.”
- For a while, the company was affiliated with the Samsonite Furniture Company (Samsonite Furniture Company), which was located in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, specializing in furniture such as folding chairs and folding tables. In 1961, Albert H. Reckler, the export manager of the luggage department, suggested to the company to introduce Lego products from Denmark, and the latter authorized the manufacture and sale of its products in the North American market. Reckler and Stan A. Clamage collaborated to promote Lego toys to the American market. Although Samsonite was not allowed to continue to operate the American market in 1972, franchised sales in the Canadian market continued until 1986 until.
- In 1973, the Schward family sold Samsonite to Beatrice Foods. The Denver plant employed 4,000 employees in its heyday. In 1993, it acquired the main company in Providence, Rhode Island. Rival American Tourister, Inc. (American Tourister, Inc.).
- It’s a pity that good times don’t always happen, and the Denver factory closed in May 2001.
- In May 2005, after the management rights changed hands again, the company headquarters moved to Mansfield, Massachusetts.
- In July 2007, CVC Capital Partners Ltd., the second largest private equity fund in Europe, acquired Samsonite for US$1.7 billion.
- Due to poor management, on September 2, 2009, Samsonite’s US retail branch filed for bankruptcy protection and planned to close more than half of its 173 stores in the United States.
- The new buyer, CVC Asset Partners, has continued to grow the company through mergers and acquisitions: in order to expand the product line of leisure bags and outdoor sports bags, on July 18, 2012, Samsonite acquired High Sierra in the United States for US$110 million.
- On August 2, 2012, Samsonite acquired Hartmann Luggage, a premium luggage brand, for US$35 million.
- On May 30, 2014, Samsonite bought the mobile phone bag manufacturer Speck for $85 million.
- On June 10, 2014, Samsonite announced the acquisition of French luggage brand Lipault for EUR 20 million.
- On June 19, 2014, Samsonite acquired Gregory, an American mountaineering backpack and cross-country running product company, for US$85 million.
- On March 3, 2016, Samsonite acquired all the shares of Tumi in the same industry (formerly NYSE:TUMI) for US$26.75 per share and a total of US$1.824 billion.