ROHM Co., Ltd. (OTC PINK: ROHCY, ROHCF, TYO: 6963) was established in 1958, formerly known as Toyo Electronics Industry Corporation, and changed to its current name in 1981. Headquartered in Kyoto, Japan, full-time employees 22,303 people are a company that manufactures and sells electronic components worldwide.
ROHM Co., Ltd. (ROHCY):
ROHM is a multinational electronics company established in Japan in 1958. ROHM Semiconductor (ROHM SEMICONDUCTOR) was formerly known as R.ohm. The “R” of the brand and trademark represents the company’s initial product project and also represents reliability (Reliability), and “OHM” represents the resistance measurement unit ohm (Ω).
Rohm Semiconductor provides IC products, including: memory, amplifier/comparator, power management, clock/timer, switch/multiplexer/logic, data converter, sensor/MEMS, display driver, motor/actuator driver , Interface, communication LSI (LAPIS), audio/video, speech synthesis LSI (LAPIS), microcontroller (LAPIS).
Rohm Semiconductor also provides discrete semiconductors, including: MOSFET, bipolar transistor, and diode.
In addition, Rohm Semiconductor provides power devices, including: power transistors, power diodes, SiC (silicon carbide) power components, IGBTs, and smart power modules.
Furthermore, ROHM passive components include: resistors, conductive polymer capacitors, tantalum capacitors; module products, including: wireless communication modules and thermal print heads.
In addition, Rohm Semiconductor provides optical devices, including: SMD LEDs, LED displays, laser diodes and optical sensors.
In addition, Rohm Semiconductor provides foundry services, including thin film piezoelectric MEMS, wafers (LAPIS), WL-CSP (LAPIS), and so on.
ROHM Co., Ltd. (ROHCY) history:
- 1954 Toyo Denki Manufacturing Co., Ltd. was founded; carbon film resistors were developed and put into the market
- 1958 Established Toyo Denki Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- 1962 Started self-made resistance automatic assembly machine
- 1963 Developed metal film resistors and put them on the market
- 1965 Introduced quality management
- 1966 Establishment of corporate objectives and basic management policies
- 1966 ROHM Wako Co., Ltd. was established
- 1967 Started development and sales of transistors and switching diodes
- 1968 Completed the commercialization of diode arrays and diode arrays
- 1969 IC development started
- 1969 ROHM Apollo Co., Ltd. was established
- 1970 Purchased computers for mechanization of business
- 1970 ROHM Logistec Co., Ltd. was established
- 1970 Established a local corporation in California, USA
- 1971 Started research and development of IC in Silicon Valley
- 1971 ROHM Electronics GmbH was established
- 1971 Development and sales of transistors started
- 1972 ROHM Korea Corporation established
- 1973 Started development and sales of light-emitting diodes and network resistors
- 1974 Started development and sales of thermal print heads
- 1974 ROHM Electronics Hong Kong Co., Ltd. was established
- 1976 Started development and sales of rectangular chip resistors
- 1977 Started development and sales of rectifier diodes
- 1979 The company’s trademark was changed from R.ohm to ROHM.
- 1979 ROHM Electronics Asia Pte. Ltd. (RES DIVISION) was established
- 1980 Completed the development and research of Zener diode
- 1981 The registered company name was changed from Toyo Denki Manufacturing Co., Ltd. to ROHM Co., Ltd.
- 1981 Started to develop MOS ICs
- 1981 ROHM Fukuoka Co., Ltd. was established
- 1982 Semiconductor Research Center established
- 1982 Started the development and sales of digital transistors
- 1983 Listed on the Second Section of the Osaka Stock Exchange
- 1983 Started development and sales of band conversion diodes
- 1984 Application of laser diodes to industry through MBE (Molecular Beam Epitaxy) method
- 1984 ROHM Amagi Co., Ltd. was established
- 1985 Developed a microcontroller using 4-byte and 8-byte original CPU
- 1986 Upgraded to the First Section of the Osaka Stock Exchange
- 1986 Established the research and development center (now LSI development center); started the development and sales of ICs; started the sales of capacitors
- 1987 Thailand Associated Manufacturing Company was established (now ROHM Integrated Systems (Thailand) Co., Ltd.); ROHM Electronics Taiwan Co., Ltd. was established
- 1988 Obtained flash memory patent in the United States; ROHM Mechatech Co., Ltd. was established; Narita Giken Co., Ltd. was established
- 1989 Listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange No. 1 East Stock Exchange; Won the Outstanding Corporate Management Quality Award (TPM); established the LSI Research Center to
establish liquid crystal process technology and started sales; Philippine affiliated manufacturing company established (now ROHM Electronics Philippines, Inc.); ROHM -Wako Electronics (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. was established; ROHM Electronics (UK) Limited was established; the organization of “ROHM Music Festival and Bach Concert”
- 1990 American Technology Development Center was established; LED information board sales started; ROHM Apollo Device Co., Ltd. was established
- 1991 Established the second research and development center; established ROHM MUSIC FOUNDATION; hosted the “Young Artist Hope Concert”
- 1992 Completely abolished the use of Freon within the ROHM Group; developed an information transmission microcontroller with built-in flash memory; hosted “modern and classical concerts”
- 1993 Developed a large-scale common-view LCD display with a unique and broad viewing angle; ROHM Electronics Dalian Co., Ltd. was established; Tianjin related manufacturing company (now ROHM Semiconductor (China) Co., Ltd.) was established; ROHM Electronics (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. was established ; ROHM Mechatech Philippines, Inc. was established; hosted the “93 Kyoto International Student Music Festival” (once every year thereafter); hosted the “Mozart Concert”
- 1994 Passed ISO9001 certification; developed a single-chip large-scale integrated circuit for spread spectrum transmission, which is a new generation of wireless conversion; sponsored “The New York Trio”; ROHM-kun’s new natural history diary Japanese scientific legend” newspaper serialization Start
- 1995 Established the second LSI research center; co-developed a 100,000-gate field (user) programmable array with Zycard in the United States; developed an IC with built-in modem circuits that can be used for IrDA infrared data communications; sponsored “ROHM LYRICSELECTION” Kumamoto Marie Concert”; sponsored the National Paris Orchestra; published CD-ROM “ROHM Kyoto Museum Diary ~ Soundscape Report”
- 1996 ROHM Wako Device Co., Ltd. is established; ROHM Electronics Korea Corporation is established; ROHM Electronics (Philippines) Sales Corporation is established; Scala Music Lovers Orchestra is sponsored
- 1997 Yokohama Technical Center was established; the mass production system of red laser diodes for DVD was established; ROHM Electronics (Thailand) Co., Ltd. was established; ROHM Electronics (France) SAS was established; sponsored “Biwa Lake Daily Marathon”; sponsored the Moscow Radio Symphony ; Sponsored the Czech Prague Symphony Orchestra Cosponsored “Prague Symphony Orchestra.”
- 1998 Obtained ISO14001 environmental management system certification; VLSI research center was established; developed ROHM’s highly reliable dual-cell system EEPROM; developed the world’s top low VF, low IR Schottky barrier diode; sponsored national men Sectional distance race relay; sponsored the super trio concert “Ashkenazy, Zukerman, Harell”; sponsored the New Japan Philharmonic Orchestra concert conducted by Seiji Ozawa
- 1999 Kyoto Technology Center was established; LSI Development Center was established; Hong Kong Technology Center was established; Audio LSI for mobile phones was developed; Lead Chloride (ZnO) single chip was developed in cooperation with Japan Institute of Industrial Technology; ROHM Hamamatsu Co., Ltd. was established; ROHM Electronics (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. was established; sponsored “Kyoto City Half marathon”; sponsored “St﹒Petersburg State Philharmony Orchestra”; sponsored “Alfred Brendel Piano Recital”
- 2000 European Technology Center was established; developed top high S/N, low jitter clock generator IC for DVD; developed system LSI; design technology “REAL SOCKET™”; ROHM Semiconductor (China) Co., Ltd. was established
- 2001 ROHM Co., Ltd. (Shin Yokohama) was established; developed the sound-silencing disc drive technology (S!PWM×2) for CD and DVD drives; developed 180-mW high-power laser for high-speed optical drives above 32 times speed Diode; Australian “ROHM’s Forest” afforestation started; “Ritsumeikan University ROHM Memorial Hall” presented
- 2002 Optical Device Research Center established
- 2003 LSI Testing Technology Center was established; LVDS interface LSI for flat panel displays was developed; ROHM Electronic Trading (Dalian) Co., Ltd. was established; ROHM Tsukuba Co., Ltd. was established
- 2004 Shanghai Technology Center was established; Taiwan Technology Center was established; REAL PLATFORM was developed to greatly improve development efficiency; 300mm wafers were officially put into mass production; 130nm CMOS LSI mass production began
- 2005 South Korea Technology Center was established; the development of advanced thermal print heads. Achieve high durability; research and development of semiconductor switching components. Start mass production;
- 2006 Shenzhen Technology Center was established; Nagoya Design Center was established; the world’s highest performance silicon valley calcium carbide (SiC) FET with a withstand voltage of 900V and a current passing rate of 3.1Ω/cm² was developed; ROHM Integrated Systems (Thailand) Co., Ltd. was established; ROHM Electronics (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd. was established; held the 2006 chamber music concert by members of ROHM Music Foundation and Music Research Association; sponsored the Hungarian National Philharmonic Orchestra
- 2007 Obtained ISO/IEC 17025 laboratory certification; developed ultra-small and ultra-thin SMD LED “PICOLEDTM [picoled: Pike Lei]”; developed wireless LAN baseband LSI for integrated equipment (built-in signal processing IEEE802.1X protocol)
- 2008 To celebrate the 50th anniversary of its founding, launch the new trademark “ROHM SEMICONDUCTOR”
- 2008 Acquired OKI Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
- 2008 Developed non-volatile logic technology with zero standby power consumption; co-founded an organic EL board business company for lighting; participated in the field of biochips, developed blood test chips, and put them on the market
- 2009 Successfully realized large-capacity low-resistance SiC Trench MOSFET; developed seamless LED basic lighting
- 2009 Acquired MEMS acceleration sensor developer Kionix, Inc.
- 2009 Acquired SiCrystal, a supplier of SiC wafers
- 2010 Developed a 1608 size 4V/100μF tantalum capacitor; developed a 0.9V driven MOSFET “ECOMOS™”; developed a semiconductor laser that can freely control the direction of the emitted beam; refurbished the Kyoto Technology Center and the Kyoto Business Center, and fully introduced self-produced LED lighting
- 2011 ROHM Semiconductor India Pvt. Ltd. was established; Tsinghua University (Beijing, China) built “Tsinghua-Roma Electronic Engineering Hall”; Brazil sales company was established
- 2012 Tsinghua-ROHM Joint Research Center was established; ROHM’s Kyoto Station Front Building won the Energy Conservation Award “Minister of Resources and Energy Award”; mass production of “full SiC” power modules started; ultra-small static current of 6μA was developed (80 %) automotive LDO regulator; transistor package “VML0806” began mass production; ultra-small “0402 size” Zener diode was developed; ROHM became a new generation wireless communication standard promotion group using energy harvesting technology; “EnOcean Alliance (Energy Alliance) “Initiator; SiC-MOS modules without Schottky barrier diodes begin mass production
- 2013 Tablet PC for Intel® Corporation in the United States , jointly developed with Intel® Corporation; the best low-power power management IC supporting the new generation of Atom™ processor “Bay Trail”; developed a new transistor with the advantages of both MOSFET and IGBT “Hybrid MOS”; Obtained the naming right of Kyoto Hall and named “ROHM THEATER KYOTO”; Using a new process method, ultra-small components “RASMID™ series” began mass production; developed a high-efficiency AC/DC converter equipped with PFC control function IC
- 2014 India Technology Center was established; MEMS foundry business of high-precision thin-film piezoelectric elements started; “Wi-SUN” universal wireless communication module suitable for building smart communities; development of high-power and ultra-low resistance suitable for detecting current in vehicles and industrial equipment Shunt resistance; development of ultra-small transistor “VML0604”. Reduced by 50% compared to previous products, achieving miniaturization
- 2015 ROHM developed an AC/DC converter control IC for SiC drive; ROHM developed a wireless power supply chipset that meets the WPC Qi standard medium power (below 15W) specification; ROHM began mass production of SiC-MOSFETs with a trench structure;
- In 2015 , part of the Shiga Plant of Renesas Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Ltd. was acquired and
officially operated as a subsidiary of 2016 “Kyoto Roma Theater”; construction of DC/DC converter IC technology that can directly reduce from 48V to 3.3V; development of small automotive LDO stability BUxxJA2MNVX-C series; developed a small Nch 40V MOSFET “AG009DGQ3”; became the official technical partner of the Venturi Formula E team, which used Rohm’s SiC Schottky barrier diode
- 2017 Released the Nano series of power supply core technology; Adopting Nano Pulse Control technology, developed a power supply IC “BD9V100MUF-C” with 2MHz operation, 60V input and 2.5V output with a high step-down ratio; developed an automotive operational amplifier “BA8290xYxx-C” without noise design Series”; newly added “PSR100” and “GMR100” shunt resistor series
- 2018 Adopting Nano Energy technology, developed a 180nA low current DC/DC converter “BD70522GUL”
- 2018 Obtained the development process certification of the automotive functional safety standard “ISO 26262”
- 2018 Developed low noise CMOS operational amplifier “LMR1802G-LB”
- 2018 Using Quick Buck Booster technology, developed a low current consumption and stable performance automotive buck-boost power supply chipset
- 2018 Developed 1700V “full SiC” power module “BSM250D17P2E004” to achieve high reliability in high temperature and high humidity environments
ROHM Semiconductor ROHM Co., Ltd. (ROHCY) investment: