Starz Inc. (NASDAQ: STRZA) was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, USA. It has 955 full-time employees. It is a large American cable television company. Its business projects include electronic media, communications, and entertainment.
Starz Inc. (STRZA):
Starz operates media and entertainment businesses through its subsidiaries. The company’s business includes Starz network, Starz distribution, and Starz animation.
- Starz network business: Provide paid subscription film and television programs to American multi-channel film and television program distributors, including cable operators, satellite TV providers, and telecommunications companies. The company’s network includes Starz and Encore broadcast video content, as well as original series and special programs without ads. MoviePlex provides a variety of art theaters, independent films and classic film library content. The company also provides access to broadcast content via the STARZ PLAY, ENCORE PLAY, MOVIEPLEX PLAY linear network.
- Starz distribution business: sells or rents DVDs under the ANCHOR BAY brand, and obtains and authorizes various titles from third parties, as well as the development and production of specific content. This business also distributes content for a fee-per-view, on-demand viewing, Order on-demand, electronic sales and other digital formats to multi-channel video and television program distributors (MVPD), online/mobile distributors, game developers/publishers and consumer electronics companies to market movies, TV series, documentaries, and children’s programs And other video content.
- Starz animation business develops and produces 2D animation content to various third-party entertainment companies.
The name of Starz Inc. has been changed several times: from 1991 to 2001 it was called Encore Media Group (predecessor and inherited its business), 2001-2004 was called Starz Encore Group, 2004-2009 was called Starz Entertainment Group, and 2009-2013 was called Liberty Starz.
History of Starz Inc. (STRZA):
- Starz was initially established as a wholly-owned TV program subsidiary and joint venture company of Liberty Media ;
- On November 19, 2009, Liberty Media divested Starz Entertainment to become a separate tracking stock (not an independent company);
- Before The Weinstein Company purchased a 25% stake in a unit of Starz Entertainment on January 4, 2011, it had been wholly owned by Liberty Media;
- On August 8, 2012, Liberty Media announced the divestiture of Liberty Starz into an independent listed company. The transaction was completed on January 11, 2013. After the divestiture, the company name was changed from Liberty Starz to “Starz Inc.”. The company’s initial assets included : Starz Networks, Starz Distribution and Arc Productions ( acquired by IDT , NYSE: IDT) minority stakes.