Barclays PLC (NYSE:BCS, LSE:BARC) was founded in 1690, the whole body is Barclays Bank Limited, changed to its current name in 1985, headquartered in London, England, with 80,800 full-time employees, it is the second largest bank in the UK (Second only to HSBC ), it is also the oldest bank in the UK, with a history dating back to 1690.
Barclays PLC (BCS):
Barclays Bank has a history of more than 320 years. It is the first bank in the world to have an ATM, and the first debit and credit card issuing bank in the UK (1996). It is currently the seventh largest bank in the world. The UK is the third largest bank after HSBC and Lloyds Bank.
Barclays Bank provides financial services with the UK as the center. Its main business is banking and investment. If measured by assets, Barclays Bank is one of the largest financial banks in the UK. Barclays Bank has branches in many other countries and is a highly influential multinational bank with business scope covering more than 60 countries, including all financial centers.
Barclays Bank is divided into two departments to operate : Barclays UK (Barclays UK) and Barclays International (Barclays International), company services include:
1. Personal and commercial banking services; credit and debit cards; international banking and private banking services, including investment, wealth planning, high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth clients, and family office credit and professional solutions.
2. Provide investment banking services for enterprises, governments and financial institutions, including financial advisory, financing, wealth and investment management, and financing and risk management services.
3. Engage in securities trading activities; and issue credit cards.
Barclays PLC (BCS) history:
- On April 23, 2007, Barclays Bank announced its plan to acquire ABN AMRO for 67 billion euros.
- On July 23, 2007, China Development Bank and Temasek Holdings acquired shares in Barclays;
- In November 2007, Barclays acquired Bayerische Landesbank, the Bavarian bank;
- On September 14, 2008, Barclays Bank announced its withdrawal from the acquisition of Lehman Brothers , which was on the verge of bankruptcy. In the early morning of the 15th, Lehman Brothers announced that it had submitted an application for bankruptcy protection;
- On June 12, 2009, Barclays Bank sold its investment arm, Barclays Global Investors, Barclays Global Investors (BGI) to BlackRock , a giant of the US fund industry, for US$15.2 billion . BGI is now the world’s largest asset management company with assets of US$1.5 trillion. After the merger of the two companies, assets under management of nearly US$2.8 trillion will become the world’s largest investment management company. BGI will trade index-tracking products. Well-known, its flagship iShare business has a market share of nearly 50% in the US exchange traded fund (ETF) market;
- On October 21, 2009, Qatar Holdings, an investment company under the Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) , a sovereign fund in the Middle East, announced the sale of 379.2 million shares of Barclays Bank of the United Kingdom through Credit Suisse ;
- On May 21, 2012, Barclays Bank sold all of its 19.6% BlackRock shares for US$6.1 billion;
- On December 6, 2012, the South African Union Bank Group will spend US$2.1 billion to acquire the African business of the parent company Barclays Bank;
- On July 30, 2013, Barclays Bank raised funds with a rights issue of 4 shares for 1 ratio, priced at 185 pence per share, and raised 5.8 billion pounds;
- On December 23, 2014, Barclays Bank acquired 50% of the Spanish insurance joint venture CNP Barclays Vida y Pensiones from French CNP Insurance for 453 million euros;
- On June 9, 2015, Barclays Bank sold its US wealth management business to the US financial group Stifel for an undisclosed price;
- On December 3, 2015, Barclays Bank sold all of its 89 retail branch networks in Italy to CheBanca, a subsidiary of the Mediobanca Group; as of May 31, there were 180 financial advisors with assets under management. 56 billion US dollars. The company’s assets are US$1.4 billion and customer loans are US$1.5 billion;
- On December 14, 2015, Barclays Bank sold its subsidiary Barclays Risk Analytics and Index Solutions Ltd. (“BRAIS”) to Bloomberg News for GBP 525 million ;
- On May 5, 2016, Barclays Bank reduced its 12.2% stake in Barclays Africa Group (BAG) (BGAJ.J) and cashed in 603 million pounds (875.5 million US dollars). After completing the private sale of shares, Barclays held a stake in Barclays Lai Africa’s shareholding ratio dropped to 50.1%;
- On June 1, 2017, Barclays Bank reduced its 33.7% stake in Barclays Africa Group (BAG) (BGAJ.J), and cashed out 2.2 billion pounds (2.83 billion US dollars). Lai Africa’s shareholding ratio fell to 14.9%.