The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc (NYSE: RBS, LSE: RBS) was founded in 1727 and is headquartered in Edinburgh, England. It has 70,900 full-time employees. It is a leading financial services group in Europe. In terms of market value, RBS is the largest bank in Scotland, the fourth largest bank in the United Kingdom (after HSBC , Lloyds Bank and Barclays Bank ), and the largest European bank (behind Santander (SAN), UBS ) (UBS), Bilbao Biscay Bank (BBVA) and Yuxin Bank after the merger with Societe Generale ).
The Royal Bank of Scotland Group (RBS):
Royal Bank of Scotland Group Co., Ltd. is a multinational bank headquartered in Edinburgh, Scotland. In terms of market capital, Royal Bank of Scotland is the largest bank in Scotland, the second largest bank in the UK (after HSBC), and the largest in Europe The three major banks, and the fifth largest bank in the world, are also one of Scotland’s note-issuing banks . In addition to general bank wealth management services, there are also insurance and corporate finance services.
Royal Bank of Scotland has operations throughout the United Kingdom and all over the world. It ranks first in the legal, personal and overseas banking industries in the United Kingdom, and second in the retail banking and private auto insurance industries. The Royal Bank of Scotland Group owns 2000 Many branches serve more than 15 million customers.
Royal Bank of Scotland Group provides a variety of banking and insurance services. In addition to two banking service brands, Royal Bank of Scotland and National Westminster, the group also owns 3 major financial service brands: Direct Line (auto insurance and telephone financial services) ), Citizen Financial Group (Bank of New England), Ulster Bank (Bank of Northern Ireland).
Assets of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group (RBS):
- US Citizens Bank 100%
- HSBC Holdings (6.93%)
- Ulster Bank, Ireland
- Guzi Bank Limited 100%
The Royal Bank of Scotland Group (RBS) history:
- In 1727, the Royal Bank of Scotland was established;
- In 1728, RBS became the world’s first bank with overdraft services;
- In 1874, the Royal Bank of Scotland opened its first branch in London;
- In 1960, the Royal Bank of Scotland opened its first branch outside the UK in New York, USA;
- In 1981, the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation and Standard Chartered Bank competed for the acquisition of Royal Bank of Scotland, but failed under the veto of the British Monopoly and Merger Commission;
- In 1999, RBS acquired National Westminster Bank;
- In August 2005, Royal Bank of Scotland and Li Ka-shing Fund, Merrill Lynch and other fund investors formed RBS China and purchased 20.94 billion pre-IPO shares of BOC for approximately US$3.048 billion (RBS accounts for approximately 51.6% of RBS China) , That is, the purchase price per share is about 1.135 yuan;
- On October 12, 2007, a consortium consisting of Fortis Bank, Royal Bank of Scotland and Santander successfully acquired ABN AMRO at a sky-high price of 71 billion euros (101 billion US dollars). Royal Bank of Scotland acquired ABN AMRO’s European and North American business, corporate banking business and Asian business;
- On April 22, 2008, the Royal Bank of Scotland provided stockholders with a rights issue plan of 11 new shares for every 18 shares and a rights issue of 200 pence per share to raise 12 billion pounds (23.7 billion US dollars, approximately 186.3 billion Hong Kong dollars). The British government acquired 57% of the Royal Bank of Scotland;
- In June 2008, RBS sold its Angel Trains for 3.6 billion pounds;
- On January 13, 2009, Royal Bank of Scotland sold 10.809 billion H shares at HK$1.68 to HK$1.71 per share, accounting for 4.26% of the total share capital of Bank of China, and cashed out US$2.37 billion, equivalent to HK$18.5 billion;
- On February 27, 2009, the British government agreed to guarantee 300 billion pounds (425.96 billion U.S. dollars) of assets for the Royal Bank of Scotland and another capital injection of 25.5 billion pounds (36.5 billion U.S. dollars). So far, the British government owns 95% of the bank. But the Ministry of Finance stated that its voting rights will not exceed 75%;
- August 4, 2009, ANZ Bank (ANZ Bank) agreed to pay $ 550 million acquisition of The Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) assets in Asia, including RBS retail banking Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia and Hong Kong, personal finance and business in Financial business, and corporate banking business in Taiwan, the Philippines and Vietnam, involving 54 branches, US$3.2 billion in loans and US$7.1 billion in deposits, and 2 million wealthy customers;
- On November 2, 2009, the British Ministry of Finance injected 25.5 billion pounds into the Royal Bank of Scotland Group, raising its shareholding ratio to 84%;
- On February 17, 2010, JPMorgan Chase agreed to acquire RBS Sempra, an energy trader under the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), for US$1.7 billion, but the transaction does not involve RBS Sempra’s North American business;
- On March 29, 2010, Royal Bank of Scotland sold its German factoring company (RBS Factoring GmbH) to GE Capital;
- On August 3, 2010, the Spanish bank Santander and its British subsidiary (Santander UK) agreed to acquire part of the business of Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) in England, Wales and the Scottish branch of NatWest Bank for GBP 1.65 billion. This acquisition includes Scotland Royal Bank’s 311 branches in England and Wales, 7 NatWest branches and 40 SME banking centers, more than 400 customer relationship managers, 4 corporate banking centers and 3 private banking centers, 1.8 million retail customers, approximately 244,000 SME customers and 1,200 mid-term corporate customers have become the fourth largest bank in the UK branch network, and the market share of SMEs will increase from 3% to 8%;
- On January 16, 2012, Royal Bank of Scotland sold its aviation leasing business to Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group for US$7.3 billion . Previously, RBS Aviation Capital was the world’s fourth largest aviation leasing company;
- On April 2, 2012, Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) sold most of its Asian stocks and investment banking business to Malaysian financial group CIMB for 174 million pounds (?). This transaction will enable CIMB to Become the largest investment banking operator in the Asia-Pacific region (except Japan);
- On September 24, 2014, the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) spun off its Citizens Financial Group (NYSE:CFG) and listed on the New York Stock Exchange. It plans to sell 140 million shares or 25% of the shares at a price of 21.5 US dollars per share and raise 30 funds. Billion U.S. dollars, with a market value of 14 billion U.S. dollars after listing, making it the 11th largest listed bank in the United States;
- In October 2015, RBS liquidated its final 20.9% stake in Citizens Financial Group.