Whole Foods Market, Inc. (NASDAQ:WFM) was founded in 1978 and is headquartered in Austin, Texas. It has 87,000 full-time employees and is the nation’s largest natural food and organic food retailer. As of March 8, 2017 , Opened 460 directly operated stores worldwide.
Update: In August 2017, Amazon completed its acquisition of Whole Foods Market, and the latter’s stock was delisted.
Whole Foods Market (WFM):
Whole Foods Market is an American food supermarket chain store that specializes in selling organic food. The first store opened on September 20, 1980, with branches in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. The founder is John Mackey (John Mackey).
- In 1978, John McGee and Renee Lawson opened a small natural food store called “SaferWay” in Austin, Texas;
- In 1980, McGee collaborated with Craig Willer and Mark Schiller to merge SaferWay with another store “Clarksville Natural Grocery” and opened the first Whole Foods Market on September 20, 1980 . At that time, the store area was 1,160 square meters and there were 19 employees. Compared with the standards of other healthy food stores at that time, Whole Foods was a large store;
- Beginning in 1984, Whole Foods Market began opening stores outside of Austin, including cities such as Houston, Dallas and New Orleans, and acquired the company “The Whole Food Company” in 1988;
- In 1989, Whole Foods Market expanded to the West Coast of the United States and opened a branch in Palo Alto, California;
- In the 1990s, Whole Foods Market successively acquired other natural food chain stores in various regions, and continued to expand its store network;
- In 1992, Whole Foods Market made its IPO and listed on NASDAQ. This listing allowed the company to obtain a large amount of capital for acquisition and expansion. By the end of the year, the number of stores had expanded to 163;
- In 2001, the Manhattan branch in New York City opened;
- In 2002, opened a branch in Toronto, Canada;
- In 2004, Whole Foods Market formally entered the UK market after acquiring seven “Fresh & Wild” supermarkets;
- In June 2007, the UK’s first Whole Foods Market was opened on High Street Kensington, London, with an area of 7,400 square meters;
- In 2007, the Hawaii branch of Whole Foods Market officially opened;
- In 2010, sales exceeded US$10 billion;
- On July 30, 2015, Whole Foods Market Inc. (WFM), a retailer of natural and organic foods, failed to meet expectations in its third-quarter results and lowered its performance outlook. The bad news caused its after-market share price to plunge 11% to 36.387. The US dollar has also attracted analysts to collectively lower the stock rating. The company’s third-quarter earnings per share were 43 cents and quarterly revenue was $3.63 billion. The company expects its fourth-quarter earnings per share to be between 34 and 35 cents, and Wall Street analysts expect its earnings per share to be 38 cents;
- On April 24, 2017, the “Financial Times” reported that Albertsons was in preliminary negotiations with bankers to purchase Whole Foods Market Inc.;
- On June 16, 2017, Amazon announced the acquisition of Whole Food for $13.7 billion, the largest acquisition in Amazon’s history. According to reports , retailers such as Wal-Mart , Costco , Dollar Tree , Sprouts Farmers Market , Kroger, etc. have dropped 5-9 points.