Deckers Outdoor Corporation (NYSE:DECK) was founded in 1973 and is headquartered in Goleta, California, with 3300 full-time employees. It is a manufacturer of outdoor sports equipment, together with its subsidiaries, design, sales and distribution for leisure Footwear, clothing and accessories for lifestyle and outdoor challenging activities.
Deckers Outdoor Corporation (DECK):
Deckers Brands is a shoe designer and distributor headquartered in Goleta, California. It was founded in 1973 by Doug Otto and Karl F. Lopker, alumni of the University of California, Santa Barbara. In 1975, the company was incorporated in California, USA under the name of Deckers Corporation. In 1993, the company’s IPO was listed on Nasdaq.
Deckers Outdoor’s brands include : UGG, Teva, Sanuk, HOKA ONE ONE and Ahnu. Products include :
1. High-end footwear under the UGG brand; sandals, shoes and boots under the Teva brand; sidewalk surfers shoe, yoga mats and beer cozy sandal collections under the Sanuk brand.
2. The company also provides running shoes under the Hoka brand; and fashionable casual shoes made of sheepskin and other plush materials under the Koolaburra brand.
Deckers Outdoor Corporation sells its products through department stores, domestic independent sports retailers, outdoor retailers, specialty footwear retailers, large national retail chains, and online retailers such as Amazon and Zappos.com.
Deckers Outdoor Corporation also sells its products directly to end-user consumers through its retail stores and e-commerce sites, and distributes its products through distributors and retailers in the United States, Europe, Asia Pacific, Canada, Australia, Latin America and internationally .
As of March 31, 2016, Deckers Outdoor Corporation had 160 retail stores, including 96 concept stores and 64 outlet stores worldwide.
Deckers Outdoor Corporation (DECK) history:
- In 1973, Doug Otto began his career in making and selling flip flops on the West Coast of the United States.
- In 1975, when Doug Otto was doing business in Hawaii, he discovered that the locals called his sandals “Deckers,” a slang term based on their striped layered construction, similar to a “deck” of stacked timber. Like the name, Otto named his brand Deckers.
- In 1985, Deckers expanded its sandals range when it signed a license agreement for the production and sale of Teva sandals.
- In 1993, in the company’s IPO listing on Nasdaq preparations, Otto changed its company name to Deckers Outdoor Corporation
- In 1995, Deckers acquired UGG Holdings, the famous manufacturer of UGG snow boots.
- In 2002, Deckers acquired Teva’s patent rights, trademarks and other assets.
- In 2003, Decker’s UGG snow boots became a household name after being introduced by Oprah Winfrey in the Favorite Things column of the Oprah Winfrey Show.
- In 2010, Deckers acquired MOZO Shoes, a company that produces shoes for the culinary industry.
- In 2011, Deckers acquired Sanuk shoes.
- In 2012, Deckers acquired Hoka One One.
- In 2015, Deckers acquired Koolaburra.