Stage Stores, Inc. (NYSE:SSI) was founded in 1988 and is headquartered in Houston, Texas. It has 14,500 full-time employees and operates specialized department stores mainly in small and medium-sized towns and communities in the United States.
Stage Stores, Inc. (SSI):
Stage Stores is a department store that specializes in retailing branded clothing, accessories, cosmetics, footwear and household goods in the United States. As of August 23, 2018, Stage Stores operated 764 stores in 42 states under the BEALLS, GOODY’S, PALAIS ROYAL, PEEBLES and STAGE brands; and 63 GORDMANS brand discount stores. In addition, products are sold through the e-commerce site stage.com.
Stage Stores’ main business areas are in the Midwest, Southeastern, Mid-Atlantic and New England areas, with stores and shopping centers or independent stores.
Stage Stores exclusive brands include Valerie Stevens; Signature Studio; Sun River; Rustic Blue; Rebecca Malone; and Wishful Park.
Its stores and positioning:
- Stage Stores: nationwide (department stores),
- Bealls: Southeast (department store)
- Palais Royal: located in Texas (department store)
- Peebles: Eastern and Midwestern regions of the United States (department stores)
- Gordmans: Midwest (low-cost department store)
- Goody’s: Southeast (department store)
Stage Stores, Inc. (SSI) History:
In June 1992, Stage Stores, then known as Specialty Retailers, Inc. (SRI), acquired Fashion Bar, Inc. in Colorado, a family business with 71 stores, most of which are affiliated with Palais Royal Comparable to Bealls.
- In 1996, SRI completed the closure of other Fashion Bar stores and retained the name of Stage Stores. The company acquired 49 stores of Beall-Ladymon, which were sold by company president Horace Ladymon. These stores are located in Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana and Mississippi; they later reopened under the “Stage” name.
- In 1997, CR Anthony Co. and Tri-North stores were acquired, and Stage expanded to the Northwest region.
- In 1997, Stage acquired Uhlmans and brought Stage to Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana. However, all of these newly acquired stores were closed when Stage Stores filed for bankruptcy in 1999. As part of the bankruptcy, most stores including the former Fashion Bar, Milliken, Tri-North and Uhlman were closed, as well as most stores in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. Stage is still operating in Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi and Oklahoma. Before bankruptcy, Stage Store was still in Alabama, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina States, South Dakota, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
- In 2003, Stage Stores acquired 136 Peebles stores in 17 states.
- In 2009, Stage Stores purchased Goody’s name through Goody’s bankruptcy auction.
- In 2017, Stage Stores acquired the assets of Gordmans.
- As of July 29, 2017, through a series of acquisitions, the company has grown to 793 stores.
- As of August 23, 2018, Stage Stores operated 764 stores in 42 states under the BEALLS, GOODY’S, PALAIS ROYAL, PEEBLES and STAGE brands; and 63 GORDMANS brand discount stores.