Naspers Limited (South African newspaper) Naspers Limited (OTCMKTS: NPSNY, NAPRF, JSE: NPN) was founded on May 12, 1915 and is headquartered in Cape Town, South Africa. It has 24,482 full-time employees. A broad-based multinational Internet and media group providing services in more than 130 countries. Its main business is Internet communications, including: classified advertising, online shopping, marketing, online payment and online services, in addition to video entertainment and print media. .
Naspers (South African Press) Naspers Limited (NPSNY):
Naspers is a leading multinational media group founded in 1915 and listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in September 1994. The company has depositary shares on the London Stock Exchange and the US OTC market.
After years of development, Naspers has grown from a traditional media company engaged in traditional printing to an electronic media company with businesses covering multiple markets.
Naspass’s main business includes the Internet, focusing on business, community, content, communications and games; pay TV and related technology and print media, including publishing, distribution, and printing of magazines, newspapers and books.
Naspers Limited is divided into 3 departments to operate : Video Entertainment (video entertainment), Internet (Internet), and Media (media).
1. The Video Entertainment department provides users with digital satellite and digital terrestrial TV services; mobile and Internet services; subscription video-on-demand services; and digital content management and protection systems to protect, manage, and monetize digital media through various platforms.
2. The Internet department operates Internet platforms and communities that provide e-commerce, communications, social networking, entertainment and mobile value-added services.
3. The Media department publishes and distributes newspapers, magazines and books.
Brands and subsidiaries of Naspers Limited (NPSNY):
- Internet media: ibibo, Multiply, OLX, Buscapé, PayU, Movile, SimilarWeb, Avito
- TV media: MultiChoice, SuperSport, DStv, MNet, Showmax
- Internet provider: MWEB
- Print media: Media24
The South African Press Group is also making minority investments in the listed integrated social networking platforms Tencent (SEHK 0700) and Mail.ru (LSE: MAIL).
Naspers (South African newspaper) Naspers Limited (NPSNY):
- In 1915, the South African press was established under the name of De Nationale Pers Beperkt (National Press Ltd) as a publisher and a printer of newspapers and magazines.
- In June 1915, Naspers released the Afrikaans daily De Burger (later renamed Die Burger) for the first time.
- In 1916, Naspers released the first magazine De Huisgenoot (later Die Huisgenoot) for the first time.
- In 1918, Naspers added book publishing to its portfolio, making it one of the most important media centers in Africa at the time.
- In 1985, the South African Press Company launched the first pay-TV system M-Net in the region, marking the company’s development from a publisher to a media company.
- The company has been listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in South Africa since 1994 and has been included in the top ten indexes in the past few years. They also have a Tier 1 American Depositary Receipt Program (ADR program) listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE) and traded on an over-the-counter (OTC) basis. International investors account for approximately 50% of its shareholders.
- Nasionale Pers officially changed its name to the currently used’Naspers’ in 1998.
- Tencent’s investment has greatly increased the price of Naspers stock, and the South African Press Company (Naspers) is the most valuable publicly traded business in Africa (June 2018), with a market value of more than US$100 billion. Myriad International Holdings, a subsidiary of the international media group Naspers, owns 28.7% of Digital Sky Technologies (DST). This Russian company mainly invests in famous Internet companies such as Facebook , Groupon and Zynga . China’s Tencent has also made a strategic investment (up to US$300 million) in DST, of which 35% of Tencent is owned by Naspers.
- In March 2014, Souq.com raised $75 million from Naspers. According to data compiled by Bloomberg , in May and September 2017, in more than two rounds, Naspers invested 1.05 billion euros (1.2 billion U.S. dollars) in Delivery Hero AG in Germany, and participated in 14 transactions worth 1.94 billion U.S. dollars this year alone. .
- On May 26, 2017, DStv, a subsidiary of Naspers, admitted that the price was enforced and violated the “Competition Law.” In the agreement reached with the Competition Commission, the entity agreed to pay R22 million in fines and R8 million to the Economic Development Fund. The committee found that these practices restricted competition among competing companies because they did not independently set prices.