Amedisys, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMED) was founded in 1982 and is headquartered in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It has 21,000 full-time employees and, together with its subsidiaries, provides healthcare services in the United States.
Amedisys, Inc. (AMED):
Amedisys is a leading provider in the field of home healthcare and its vision is to be the solution of choice for moderately aged patients across the country. From home health care to hospice care to personal care, Amedisys team members provide high-quality clinical unique care to more than 415,000 patients every year. Amedisys Home Health and Hospice Care is one of the largest home health providers and the second largest hospice provider in the United States.
Amedisys is divided into three departments to operate: Home Health, Hospice and Personal Care.
- Family health care department : Provides a series of services in individual homes to enable patients to recover from surgery, chronic disability or terminal illness, and prevent avoidable hospitalization and rehospitalization through their skilled nurses; specializes in physical, speech and occupational therapy rehabilitation Therapists; and social workers and assistants who help patients.
- Hospice Department : The services provided are designed to provide comfort and support for those who have terminal illnesses such as heart disease, lung disease, Alzheimer’s disease or cancer.
- Personal care department : Provide assistance for patients with daily activities.
As of February 18, 2020, Amis Medical owns and operates 479 care centers in 38 states and the District of Columbia.
Amedisys, Inc. (AMED):
- Amedisys was founded in 1982 by William F. Borne, a registered nurse from Reserve in Louisiana, and has served as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Chairman of the Board of Directors since then.
- In 1993, the company completed a reverse acquisition of M&N Capital Corp and began trading on the Nasdaq small-cap market in 1994. Other public offerings of its common stock were completed in 2004 and 2006.
- In March 2008, Amedisys ended its acquisition of TLC Health Care Services, a home health provider with more than 100 branches.
- As of November 6, 2011, Amdisys’ board members include: Chairman William F. Borne; Don Washburn (Don Washburn); Ronald LaBorde; Accountant Jake L. Netterville; David Pitts and Peter Ricchiuti. Borne resigned as CEO, chairman and director of Amedisys on February 24, 2014, 33 years after entering the company, and was appointed honorary chairman by the company’s board of directors. Ronnie A. LaBorde was appointed as interim chief executive officer. He served as president and chief financial officer of Amedisys for two years and served as a member of the board of directors for 17 years.
- In June 2011, Amedisys completed the acquisition of Beacon Hospice. Beacon Hospice is a New England hospice service provider with offices in 24 locations in five states.
- On March 28, 2014, Amedisys announced that it would close 29 care centers (23 home care and 6 hospice care) and merge another 25 (21 home care and 4 hospice care).
- On April 30, 2014, The Concord (NH) office of Beacon Hospice was closed. Hyder Family Hospice House will be closed later. Hyder House is the only inpatient hospice facility in Stratford County, New Hampshire.
- Amedisys announced on April 23, 2014 that it had reached a $150 million settlement agreement with the US Department of Justice.