United Natural Foods, Inc. (NASDAQ:UNFI) was founded in 1976 and is headquartered in Providence, Rhode Island, with 19,000 full-time employees. It is the largest organic natural food distributor in the United States.
United Natural Foods (UNFI):
United Natural Foods (USA Natural Foods) and Whole Foods Market Whole Foods Market (WFM) and Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM) as is an organic food retailer, with its main subsidiaries in the United States and Canada distribution and marketing of natural, organic , Specialty food and non-food products.
United Natural Foods provides grocery and general merchandise, agricultural products, perishable food and frozen food, nutritional supplements and sports nutrition, bulk and food service products, and personal care products; and participates in import, baking, packaging and distribution Nuts, dried fruits, seeds, assorted nuts, oatmeal, natural and organic snack products and candies, etc.
In addition, United Natural Foods mainly provides Blue Marble brand products for wholesale through third-party distributors of organic, natural and professional food brands, and directly to retailers. Its independent natural product retail channel mainly provides customers with Field Day brand products.
United Natural Foods serves to independently own natural product retailers, supernatural chain stores, traditional supermarkets, hypermarkets, restaurants and international customers outside of Canada. It mainly operates 13 natural product retail stores in Florida.
In addition to the distribution business, UNFI also operates the following departments:
- Woodstock Farms Manufacturing
- Albert’s Organics
- Select Nutrition
- UNFI Canada
- Honest Green
- Tony’s Fine Foods
- Blue Marble Brands
- Gourmet Guru
- Haddon House Specialty Foods
- Nor-Cal Produce
United Natural Foods (UNFI) History Encyclopedia:
- In 1996, Mountain People’s Warehouse (founded in 1976, serving the western United States) and Cornucopia Natural Foods (founded in 1977, serving the eastern United States) merged to form United Natural Foods, Inc.;
- In 2007, United Natural Foods acquired Millbrook Distribution Services and expanded into the field of specialty product distribution;
- In 2011, United Natural Foods signed an agreement with Safeway Inc., making the latter a non-proprietary distributor of natural, organic, and specialty products, and the second largest distributor after Whole Foods. In July 2015, Safeway terminated protocol;
- In 2012, UNFI cooperated with Buyer’s Best Friend to create a unified reordering system;
- In 2016, United Natural Foods Corporation announced the acquisition of Nor-Cal produce, Inc.;
- In 2016, United Natural Foods completed the acquisition of Haddon House Food Products, Inc. for US$217.5 million. After the completion of the acquisition, United Natural Foods will expand its business scope to multinational food;
- In 2016, United Natural Foods announced the acquisition of Gourmet Guru, Inc.;
- On July 26, 2018, UNFI announced that it would acquire the wholesaler Supervalu for USD 1.3 billion and its USD 1.6 billion debt.