Morgan Stanley (or: Morgan Stanley) (Motor) Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS) was founded in 1924 and is headquartered in New York, USA, with 61,596 full-time employees. It is a financial holding company that provides global companies and governments , Financial institutions and individuals provide various financial products and services. .
Morgan Stanley (MS):
Morgan Stanley, also known as “Motorcycle” in the industry, is an international financial services company established in New York, USA. It provides financial services including securities, asset management, corporate mergers and reorganizations, and credit cards. Morgan Stanley currently has representative offices in more than 1,300 cities in 42 countries around the world, with a total of more than 60,000 employees. The company’s customers include companies, governments, institutions and individuals. Morgan Stanley changed the company’s registration status to “bank holding company” in September 2008.
Old Morgan Stanley was founded on September 16, 1935, and was first founded by Henry Sturgis Morgan (son of John Pierpont Morgan), a partner of JP Morgan, and Harold Stanley and others The establishment and establishment of the new company are in response to the requirements of the “Glass-Steagall Act”-the business of commercial banks and investment banking must be separated. In the first year of its establishment, the old Morgan Stanley was responsible for trading 24% of the total market value (1.1 billion US dollars).
The new Morgan Stanley was established in 1997 by the merger of the old Morgan Stanley and Dean Witter Discover & Co., and Pei Xiliang, chairman and CEO of Dean Witter Discover & Co., became the new company The new company is named “Morgan Stanley Dean Witter Discover & Co.”. In 2001, the new company was finally renamed “Morgan Stanley (Morgan Stanley)”. The main business scope of New Morgan Stanley is securities management, wealth management and investment management.
Morgan Stanley is divided into 3 business units to operate:
- Institutional Securities (Institutional Securities)-provides financing and financial advisory services, including services related to underwriting of debt, stocks and other securities, as well as advice on mergers, acquisitions, restructuring, real estate and project financing; providing underwriting and transaction services, such as Sales, financing and marketization services of stock securities and fixed income products (including foreign exchange and commodities) and prime brokerage services, as well as corporate loan services, credit products, investment and research services.
- Wealth Management -Provides various financial services and solutions for individuals, SMEs and institutions, including brokerage and investment advisory services, fixed income securities market services, financial and wealth planning services, annuity and insurance products, credit and Other loan products, as well as small banking and retirement planning services for individual investors.
- Investment Management ——Provide various investment strategies and products, including asset management, such as stocks, fixed income, liquidity, alternatives and custody futures products; this department also involves commercial banks and real estate investment businesses.
Morgan Stanley (Morgan Stanley) History:
- Morgan Stanley was originally the investment arm of JP Morgan Chase . In 1933, the United States experienced the Great Depression. Congress passed the “Glass-Steagall Act”, prohibiting companies from providing commercial banking and investment at the same time For banking services, Morgan Stanley was established as an investment bank in New York on September 5, 1935, and opened on September 16, while JP Morgan was transformed into a pure commercial bank.
- In 1986, Morgan Stanley was listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
- In 1995, Morgan Stanley acquired an asset management company.
- In August 1995, Morgan Stanley and China Construction Bank jointly established China International Capital Corporation. Morgan Stanley became the first international finance company to establish a joint investment bank in mainland China . Through a joint venture bank in China, Morgan Stanley is able to provide many Chinese companies with overseas listing services, including China Unicom , Sinopec and China Telecom .
- In 1997, Morgan Stanley merged with Dean Witter, an investment bank under Sears , and changed its name to Morgan Stanley Dean Witter.
- In 2001, the company changed its name back to Morgan Stanley (Morgan Stanley).
- In 2008, during the financial crisis, Morgan Stanley borrowed more than 107.3 billion U.S. dollars from the FED, the most among all banks.
- On January 12, 2009, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup established a new joint venture-Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Morgan Stanley Smith Barney), which makes Morgan Stanley the world’s largest securities firm , with 20,390 sales employees and management $1.7 trillion in customer assets. Citigroup acquired Morgan Stanley Smith Barney with 100% of Smith Barney Securities, Australia’s Smith Barney and Quilter, which provides private investment management services in the UK, and US$2.7 billion in cash (but excluding Citi Private Bank and Japan’s Nikko Cordial Securities). % Of shares. Morgan Stanley acquired a 51% stake in Morgan Stanley Smith Barney with 100% stake in its global wealth management business.
- October 21, 2009, the Morgan Stanley’s retail investment management business (including Van Kampen department) to $ 1.5 billion in stock and cash equivalent to the price sold to the United States Invesco Asset Management Company (Invesco Ltd.).
- On July 21, 2011, Mitsubishi UFJ Bank converted its preferred shares of Morgan Stanley into 22.4% Morgan Stanley common stock.
- On September 11, 2012, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup agreed to value the joint venture broker Morgan Stanley Smith Barney at US$13.5 billion. Morgan Stanley will buy another 14% stake in Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in 2015. The remaining 35% equity held by Citigroup was purchased before June 1.
- In 2013, Morgan Stanley acquired the shares of Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Morgan Stanley Smith Barney) from Citigroup and obtained full control of Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.
- In July 2014, Morgan Stanley Private Equity Asia announced that it had raised approximately US$1.7 billion for the fourth fund in the region.
- In December 2015, it was reported that Morgan Stanley would lay off 25% of fixed-income jobs.
- In January 2016, Morgan Stanley reported that it had offices in 43 countries.
- On February 12, 2019, Morgan Stanley acquired Solium Capital, a Canadian employee share plan manager, for approximately US$900 million in cash per share of 19.15 Canadian dollars.
- 2020 February 21, Morgan Stanley shares to 1.0432 parts change an E * TRADE (E * Trade) shares, equivalent to $ 58.74, a $ 13 billion acquisition of E * TRADE (E * Trade, E-Trade ) .