Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT) was established in 1975 and is headquartered in Redmond, Washington. It has 163,000 employees worldwide and focuses on R&D, manufacturing, licensing and providing a wide range of computer software services. Microsoft is currently the world’s largest computer software provider. The most famous and best-selling products are Microsoft Windows operating system and Microsoft Office series software.
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT):
Microsoft was founded in 1975 by Bill Gates and Paul Allen, and Bill Gates has dominated the world’s top ten millionaires for more than one year. This shows that software is more profitable than hardware. Look at Intel , IBM , HP The founder failed to become the richest man in the world, ha ha. Microsoft ranked 110th in the world’s top 500 companies in 2013, 104th in 2014, 95th in 2015, 63rd in 2016, 69th in 2017, 71th in 2018.
In 2018, Microsoft surpassed Apple to become the world’s most valuable listed company. In April 2019, Microsoft reached a market value of US$1 trillion, becoming the fifth US listed company with a stock price of more than US$1 trillion after Apple, Amazon , Alphabet’s Google , and Facebook .
Microsoft is an American multinational computer technology company, focusing on R&D, manufacturing, licensing and providing a wide range of computer software services. The most famous and best-selling products are the Microsoft Windows operating system and Microsoft Office software, as well as the Xbox game business.
In the early days, Microsoft mainly developed and sold BASIC interpreters for Altair 8800. In the mid-1980s, it made great progress in the home computer operating system market with MS-DOS. Later, the emergence of Windows made Microsoft gradually dominate the home desktop computer operating system market. At the same time, Microsoft also began to expand its business, enter other industries and markets, and created the MSN website. In the computer hardware market, Microsoft trademarks and Xbox game consoles, Zune and MSN TV home entertainment devices also appeared on the market in different years. Microsoft’s IPO in 1986, and the rising stock price has created four billionaires and 12,000 millionaires for Microsoft.
Along with the company’s strength, Microsoft has also been increasingly criticized and accused, and has never stopped for decades. Practices such as refusal to deal and bundling have led to monopoly and unfair competition lawsuits. The US Department of Justice and the European Commission have both made adverse rulings against Microsoft under antitrust laws.
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) product software:
The software products produced by Microsoft include many types:
- Microsoft Windows-a graphics operating system called “Windows”; there are many versions. The latest version of Personal Edition and Enterprise Edition is Windows 10. The latest version of the server is Windows Server 2016. Microsoft Windows is pre-installed on almost all IBM compatible personal computers.
- MS-DOS-Microsoft’s early product, it is a simple operating system with a command line interface. The early versions of Microsoft Windows must run under MS-DOS, but Windows NT and later products can run without MS-DOS, but based on users’ software and hardware not working normally on Windows NT, Microsoft continued to launch Windows 95 at the same time , Windows 98, Windows Me is a transitional product running under MS-DOS.
- Microsoft Office-It is Microsoft’s office suite software. Depending on the version, it may include Microsoft Word (word processing), Microsoft Excel (electronic spreadsheet), Microsoft Access (database management system), Microsoft PowerPoint (presentation production), Microsoft Outlook (personal mail and schedule management), Microsoft OneNote (electronic notes), Microsoft SharePoint Designer (what you see is what you get), Microsoft Project (project management) and Microsoft Publisher (electronic typesetting) and other software. Microsoft also produces a version for Macintosh computers for use on Apple computers.
- Microsoft SQL Server-is a relational database solution launched by Microsoft Corporation.
- Internet Information Services-Web server software launched by Microsoft, similar to Apache, which is widely used on the Internet, and can explain ASP dynamic web pages.
- Internet Explorer-Microsoft’s web browser. It used to be the most widely used browser in the world. Starting from Windows 95, it is pre-installed in all versions of Microsoft Windows. It can also be used on a Macintosh computer. Microsoft invested $400 million to pre-install the browser on Apple computers. The main search engine is Bing.
- Windows Media Player-It is an application for playing music and videos.
- Microsoft Azure-is Microsoft’s brand for cloud services. The advantage is that enterprises can create their own system services without physical servers.
- Microsoft Edge-the latest version of Microsoft’s browser, the default browser of the Windows 10 operating system
- Microsoft also produces a series of reference products, such as encyclopedias and map books, under the name Encarta.
- Microsoft also developed an integrated development environment for application system development, named Microsoft Visual Studio. The corresponding development tool Visual Studio for programming in the .NET environment has been released.
- Other products: Microsoft Student, Microsoft Money, Streets & Trips, Works & Works Suite, Math, Microsoft Expression.
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) product game software:
- “Halo” series:
- First generation: “Halo: Battle Evolution”
- The second generation: “Halo 2”
- The third generation: “Halo 3”
- Fourth generation: “Halo 4”
- The fifth generation: “Halo 5: Guardians”
- Side Story: “Halo: Halo Wars”
- Rumor: “Halo 3: ODST”
- Side Story: “Halo: The Battle of Ruiqu”
- Reissue: “Halo: The Last Battle Reissue”
- Collection: “Halo: Master Chief Collection”
- Reissue version: “Halo: Halo Wars Deciding Edition”
- Rumor: “Halo: Spartan Raid”
- Rumor: “Halo: Spartan Attack”
- Side Story: “Halo: Halo Wars 2”
- “Age of Empires” series:
- First generation: “Age of Empires”, “Age of Empires: Roman Revival”
- The second generation: “Age of Empires II: Age of Kings”, “Age of Empires II: Conqueror”, “Age of Empires II: The Lost Empire”, “Age of Empires II: African Kingdom”
- The third generation: “Age of Empires III”, “Age of Empires III: Chiefs”, “Age of Empires III: Asian Dynasty”
- Fourth generation: “Age of Empires Online”
- Side Story: “Myth Century”
- “The Rise of the Kingdom” series:
- “The Rise of the Country”
- “The Rise of the Nation: The Battle of Defending the Power”
- “The Rise of the Country: The Legend Reappears”
- “Gears of War Series” series:
- First generation: “Gears of War”
- Second generation: “Gears of War 2”
- The third generation: “Gears of War 3”
- Fourth generation: “Gears of War 4”
- Side Story: “War Machine: Trial”
- “Forza Motorsport Series/Forza Motorsport Series” series:
- The first generation: “Forza Motorsport”
- The second generation: “Forza Motorsport 2”
- The third generation: “Forza Motorsport 3”
- Fourth generation: “Forza Motorsport 4”
- The fifth generation: “Forza Motorsport 5”
- The sixth generation: “Forza Motorsport 6”
- Seventh generation: “Forza Motorsport 7”
- Derived as the first generation: “Forza Horizon”
- Derived as the second generation: “Forza Horizon 2”
- Derived as the third generation: “Forza Horizon 3”
- “Kinect Adventure”
- “Microsoft Flight Simulator”
- “Microsoft Train Simulator”
- “Crazy City Racing” series
- “Magic Warrior”
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) product hardware:
Although Microsoft is generally a software company, it also produces some computer hardware products, usually to support its special software product strategy:
- An early example was the Microsoft mouse, which was used to encourage more users to use the graphical user interface of the Microsoft operating system. Since it is very rare to use a GUI without a mouse, the popularity of the mouse will help more users use Windows. Microsoft established the IntelliMouse (middle button mouse with a scroll wheel) mouse standard. The new scroll wheel facilitates users to turn pages up and down while browsing the web.
- Microsoft also sells hardware products such as keyboards, network cameras, and joysticks.
- The company also bought Internet equipment company WebTV to support its MSN Internet service.
- In 2001, the company’s Xbox game consoles marked the company’s entry into the multi-billion-dollar gaming terminal market, which had been dominated by Sony and Nintendo before.
- In 2005, Microsoft launched the Xbox 360, the successor to the Xbox. Although its main competitor Sony’s PlayStation 3 was postponed to November 2006 for several times, it was due to various factors such as shortages and consumption inertia in Japan. , The initial promotion of Xbox 360 was not very smooth, but it still sold 10 million units before the launch of PlayStation 3 a year later. The Xbox 360 3 red issue caused by design flaws also caused dissatisfaction among players. Under pressure, Microsoft finally admitted the 3 red facts and implemented a 3-year free replacement service.
- On November 14, 2006, Microsoft launched the Zune portable media player and began to be marketed in the United States.
- In 2008, Microsoft will supply all the Formula One racing teams with a unified driving computer system.
- In 2010, Microsoft launched the Kinect somatosensory pickup, which was initially only used as a peripheral device for the Xbox360 game console.
- In June 2012, Microsoft released the Surface Tablet PC, breaking the practice of not producing mainframe computers since its establishment 37 years ago.
- On May 21, 2013, Microsoft released Xbox One at a press conference. It was officially launched on November 22, 2013.
- On August 2, 2016, Microsoft announced on its official website that the developer version of Microsoft HoloLens has been sold in the United States and Canada.
- On August 2, 2016, the 2TB version of Xbox One S went on sale. On the 23rd of the same month, 1TB and 500GB versions of Xbox One S went on sale.
- On November 7, 2017, Xbox One X was officially released for US$499.
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) product network products:
- In the mid-1990s, Microsoft began to expand its product line into the computer network field. Microsoft launched its online service MSN on August 24, 1995. MSN is a direct competitor of AOL and the main brand of Microsoft’s other network products.
- In 1996, Microsoft and the US broadcast industry giant NBC co-founded MSNBC, a comprehensive 24-hour news channel and online news service provider.
- At the end of 1997, Microsoft acquired Hotmail, the most popular webmail service provider. Hotmail was renamed to MSN Hotmail, and became Microsoft Account, a platform for an integrated login service system. Now the name is changed to Outlook.com.
- Windows Live Messenger is an instant messaging program. It was launched by Microsoft in 1999. It is the main competitor of AOL’s AOL Instant Messager, ICQ, and QQ. It ceased service on October 31, 2013.
- On May 10, 2011, it announced the acquisition of Skype for US$8.5 billion.
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) product-training:
Microsoft has established a number of training centers, aiming to train experts who are proficient in all kinds of Microsoft and cooperate with the company environment. The most famous at present is the latest revision of MCSE in October 2012. In October 2012, in response to the proliferation of archaeological questions and the criticism that certification is far from practice, Microsoft changed to adopt a new generation of cloud solutions, with private cloud implementation, virtualization, BI, automation, etc., to identify certification skills, and With Solutions as the main axis and IT technology as the assistance, the test has greatly increased the realization test questions. Compared with the previous certification system, the word “Solutions” represents a broader, less clearly defined scope of professional technology, and the test is cancelled Just issue an MCTS system, abolish the permanent validity of the license, change to a two or three-year recertification mechanism, reduce the number of certifications by 85%, and abolish expired exam subjects and licenses.
- MCSM (Microsoft Certified Solutions Master, Microsoft Certified Solutions Master)
- MCSE (Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert, Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert)
- MCSD (Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer, Microsoft Certified Development Expert)
- MCSA (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate, Microsoft Certified Solutions Technician), examination subjects have Windows Server 2012, Windows 8, Visual Studio, SQL Server 2012.
- The MCPD examination department has examination certifications in three development areas: desktop, web and collaboration platform.
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) history:
- Microsoft was founded in 1975 by Bill Gates and Paul Allen.
- On April 4, 1975, Microsoft was formally established, and Gates was the chief operating officer of Microsoft.
- In August 1977, the company signed an agreement with the Japanese ASCII magazine to establish its first international office “ASCII Microsoft”.
- On June 25, 1981, Microsoft was reorganized into a registered company in Washington State.
- In 1984, Microsoft and IBM began to work together to develop a different operating system OS/2.
- In 1986, Microsoft IPO , listed on the first day at 21 US dollars, and closed at 28 US dollars.
- On November 20, 1985, Microsoft launched the first retail version of Microsoft Windows, initially as a graphical extension of its MS-DOS system.
- On February 26, 1986, Microsoft moved its headquarters to Redmond.
- In March 1986, Microsoft’s initial public offering (IPO).
- In 1990, Microsoft launched its Microsoft Office office package , and Word became the first product to display bold characters. The software is bound to office productivity applications, such as Microsoft Office Word and Microsoft Office Excel.
- On May 22, 1990, Microsoft launched Windows 3.0. Windows 3.0 has a streamlined user interface, improved graphics performance and improvements for Intel 386 processors
- On May 26, 1995, Bill Gates proposed the “Internet Memorandum”. In 1995, Microsoft began to redefine its products, and expanded and entered the computer network product line and the World Wide Web.
- On August 24, 1995, Microsoft released Windows 95 , which bundled online services MSN and Internet Explorer.
- On January 13, 2000, Bill Gates handed over the position of Microsoft CEO to Steve Ballmer, who served as chief software architect.
- On October 25, 2001, Microsoft released Windows XP , the first Windows to use product activation to compete with piracy. However, some users criticized Windows XP for its security vulnerabilities and application bindings (such as Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player). . Before the end of September 2011, Windows XP was the most used operating system in the world. In January 2007, the market share of Windows XP reached the highest level in history, exceeding 76%. According to Netmarketshare’s statistics on global network users, in August 2012, Windows XP, which has dominated the operating system market for 11 years, was finally surpassed by Windows 7. Windows XP has become the largest and most commonly used operating system in history, and the next generation of Windows Vista has ended dismal (the highest market share of Windows Vista is only 18%).
- In 2002, Microsoft released Windosw XP.
- In 2004, the Xbox game console released by Microsoft entered the game console market dominated by Sony and Nintendo .
- On January 30, 2007, Windows Vista was officially sold to ordinary users.
- On October 27, 2008, Microsoft’s Windows Azure service platform was the first step for the company to enter the cloud computing market.
- On February 12, 2009, Microsoft announced its intention to open a Microsoft brand chain retail store, and on October 22, 2009, the first retail store was officially opened in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- On the morning of April 12, 2010, a press conference was held in San Francisco to announce a new generation of smart phones.
- In May 2010, Apple’s market value surpassed that of Microsoft, becoming the world’s most valuable IT company.
- In October 2010, Microsoft released Windows Phone.
- On October 22, 2009, Microsoft released a retail version of Windows 7.
- On October 26, 2012, Windows 8 was officially launched.
- On October 26, 2012, Microsoft released Windows 8 tablet computers-Surface and Surface Pro.
- On September 3, 2013, Microsoft announced that it would acquire almost all of Nokia ’s mobile phone business for approximately US$7.2 billion , of which 5 billion was purchased for the equipment and service sector, and 2.18 billion was paid for related patents.
- On October 17, 2013, the official version of Windows 8.1 was released.
- In 2013, the market value of Google exceeded that of Microsoft.
- On September 15, 2014, Microsoft announced the acquisition of Swedish game developer Mojang, which includes company ownership and game intellectual property rights. The purchase amount is 2.5 billion US dollars. Forbes commented that Nokia is selling cabbage at a low price. “It is not surprising to sell to Microsoft. What is surprised is the time and price of the sale” and “Steven Elop’s motives will be carefully examined.”
- On September 30, 2014, Microsoft unveiled the Windows 10 technical preview version at the launch of the new generation of Windows operating system in Seattle, USA, and claimed that the official version will be released in the second half of 2015.
- On January 21, 2015, Microsoft released a new version of Windows 10-Build 9926 (consumer preview version).
- On July 29, 2015, Microsoft Windows 10 was simultaneously launched in 190 countries around the world. Genuine Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that match the hardware qualifications can be upgraded for free. It is estimated that hundreds of millions of Windows users worldwide will benefit.
- On July 29, 2015, Microsoft released a new version of Windows 10, with hundreds of features such as a multitasking management interface, biometric unlocking (Windows Hello), and a new browser Microsoft Edge. Microsoft hopes that Windows 10 can drive the growth of the PC market and improve the system functions and ecological environment of its Windows Phone.
- On September 23, 2015, Microsoft launched a new version of Office 2016 globally.
- On October 7, 2015, Microsoft released a new generation of Surface Pro products and a new Surface Book, expanding the Surface brand to the notebook field.
- In May 2016, Microsoft plans to abandon the Nokia feature phone business and sell it to Foxconn .
- On May 17, 2016, SAP and Microsoft formed a cloud service partnership.
- On June 13, 2016, Microsoft announced that it had agreed to acquire LinkedIn, the world’s largest professional social networking site, for US$26.2 billion in cash . According to the agreement, Microsoft will pay a premium of 50% for each LinkedIn stock to pay 196 US dollars, LinkedIn shares soared 47% before the market that day.
- On August 2, 2016, Microsoft announced on its official website that the developer version of Microsoft HoloLens has been sold in the United States and Canada.
- On October 26, 2016, Microsoft released an enhanced version of Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book at the new product launch event in the fall, which improved its hardware configuration. At the same time, it also released auxiliary devices such as Surface Studio all-in-one and Surface Dial, expanding the Surface hardware brand to the pure desktop field again.
- In May 2018, Microsoft acquired Semantic Machines, a conversational AI company.
- On June 4, 2018, Microsoft acquired the software development platform GitHub for $7.5 billion in stocks.
- At the end of June 2018, Microsoft formed an alliance with Digital China and Reku to expand the blockchain market. Digital China’s MasterDAX will use Microsoft Azure as its blockchain cloud platform.
- In June 2018, Microsoft acquired the artificial intelligence company Bonsai, a bonsai company.
- In August 2018, Toyota Tsusho (Toyota Tsusho) began to cooperate with Microsoft, using Microsoft Azure application suite to create water management-related Internet of Things (IoT) technology fish farming tools. The water pump mechanism was partially developed by researchers at Kindai University. It uses artificial intelligence to count the number of fish on the conveyor belt, analyze the number of fish, and infer the effectiveness of the water flow based on the data provided by the fish. The specific computer program used in this process belongs to Azure Machine Learning and Azure IoT Center platform.
- In September 2018, Microsoft stopped Skype Classic.
- In September 2018, Microsoft acquired Bolong.
- On October 10, 2018, despite having more than 60,000 patents, Microsoft still joined the open invention online community.
- On November 15, 2018, Microsoft announced the acquisition of chatbot startup XOXCO. XOXCO was founded in 2013, initially focused on software product design and consulting services, and later received attention for developing a stupid application. In 2015, the company raised $1.5 million in funding to focus on chatbot research and development.
- In November 2018, Microsoft introduced Azure multi-factor authentication for Microsoft Azure.
- In December 2018, Microsoft announced Project Mu, which is an open source version of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) kernel used in Microsoft Surface and Hyper-V products. The project promoted the concept of firmware as a service.
- In December 2018, Microsoft announced the open source implementation of Windows Forms and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), which will enable the company to move further towards the transparent distribution of key frameworks for developing Windows desktop applications and software.
- In December 2018, Microsoft terminated the Microsoft Edge project and instead supported its browser to use the Chromium backend.
- In October 2019, while routinely updating the Surface product line, Microsoft released two new devices, Surface Neo and Surface Duo, to enter the dual-screen computing device market. Among them, Surface Neo is a dual-screen notebook device composed of two 9-inch screens, and is equipped with a Windows 10X operating system optimized for dual-screen devices. The Surface Duo is a dual-screen mobile device running a customized version of the Android system. After Microsoft announced the end of the failed Windows Phone operating system, it once again entered the mobile phone market by carrying the Android system.
- In September 2020, Microsoft agreed to acquire ZeniMax Media for $7.5 billion.
Windows version history
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) investment:
Microsoft (MSFT) is a multinational computer technology company based in the United States and the world’s largest software supplier.