Ecolab Inc. (NYSE:ECL) was founded in 1923 and is headquartered in St. Paul, Minnesota, USA, with 47,565 full-time employees. It is the world’s leading cleaning and disinfection product and solution for the food and beverage industry Suppliers mainly provide water resources, health care, energy technology and services for global customers (catering and accommodation, manufacturing companies, etc.).
Ecolab is the world’s leading supplier of cleaning and disinfection products and solutions for the food and beverage industry. It provides advanced cleaning, disinfection, and pest control products, services and operation solutions for hotels, food and beverages, supermarkets and other industries around the world. Ecolab was listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 1957, with customers in more than 190 countries and more than 60 production bases around the world. It is a Fortune 500 company. After more than 90 years of successful operation, Ecolab has expanded its business scope to hospitals, professional laundry, government agencies, schools and various retail and commercial organizations to provide customers with the most comprehensive cleaning and sanitation solutions.
Ecolab Inc. is a company that mainly provides water resources, health care, energy technology and services to global customers. Ecolab’s business is divided into 4 departments: (1) Global Industry, (2) Global Enterprise Organization, (3) Global Energy, (4) Other Business.
- Global industrial sector: Mainly provide solutions for water treatment, process technology application, cleaning and disinfection, etc., serving industrial users such as manufacturing, food and beverage processing, chemicals, mining and metals, power generation, pulp and paper, and commercial laundry.
- Global corporate organization department: Provide cleaning and disinfection products for catering, catering, accommodation, healthcare, government and educational institutions, and retail.
- Global Energy Sector: Provide chemicals and water treatment services required for upstream and downstream applications in the petroleum and petrochemical industry.
- Other departments: provide deworming services, and kitchen maintenance services. Products are mainly sold through company sales staff, medical and healthcare distributors, distributors, etc.
Ecolab Inc. is a global leader in water, sanitation, public health, energy technology and services. It is committed to protecting important resources closely related to life — clean water, safe food, abundant energy and healthy surroundings. In 2014, Ecolab had sales of US$14 billion and more than 47,000 employees worldwide. At present, Ecolab Group provides a full range of solutions and services to customers in the catering service industry, food processing industry, hotel industry, healthcare industry, light and heavy industry, oil and gas and mineral extraction and processing industries in 171 countries and regions. Create a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Nalco, as a subsidiary of Ecolab, focuses on industrial water, energy and air treatment, helping customers reduce natural resource consumption, improve air quality, minimize environmental emissions, and improve production efficiency.
Ecolab (China) Investment Co., Ltd. is the Greater China regional headquarters established by Ecolab Group in China. Since entering the Greater China region in 1975, Ecolab has established a leading position in the field of food safety and sustainable development in China with more than 40 years of professional experience in serving the local market and strong scientific research capabilities. In 2014, we had nearly 3,000 employees, 5 production bases, 1 world-class R&D center, and more than 40 offices all over the country.
Ecolab (ECL) History:
- In 1923, MJ Osborn founded a company called “Economics Laboratory”, which was the predecessor of Ecolab;
- In 1950, the Economic Laboratory obtained a development opportunity in the dairy industry. At that time, the shelf life of milk in cold storage was only 3 days at most, and the Economic Laboratory achieved excellent performance;
- In 1955, Ecolab established a sales division in Canada and signed a contract with a Canadian manufacturer to be responsible for the local production of Ecolab products;
- In 1956, Ecolab established its first European subsidiary—Soilax AB Sweden;
- In 1958, Soilax Mexico was established;
- In 1962, Ecolab completed a $500,000 pilot plant and built the Merritt J. Osborn R&D center two years later;
- On June 19, 1968, the 20-story Osborn Building, now serving as the headquarters of Ecolab Group, was completed and opened in downtown Sao Paulo;
- In 1970, the International Department of Economics Laboratory had sales of more than 30 million U.S. dollars and served more than 40 markets around the world. The department established its European headquarters office in Brussels, leading business in 15 countries, and successively in Spain, Switzerland and Dominica. New business in the Republic;
- In 1977, Economic Lab International established regional headquarters in Latin America and Hawaii;
- At the end of the 1970s, economic laboratories were already operating in more than 50 countries;
- In 1981, Ecolab launched a solid product-Solid Power. This product is a solid detergent with the most advanced patented technology of the country concentrated in a plastic capsule. Solid Power provides unprecedented control, safety and cost saving. As soon as it was launched, sales grew rapidly. In the following years, the company extended this technology to other businesses, such as laundry, floor care, and began to use solid products;
- In December 1986, the Economics Laboratory was officially renamed Ecolab (from Economics Laboratory to Ecolab Inc.);
- In 1986, Ecolab acquired the professional product division of Airwick Industries, a market leader in the floor maintenance, odor control, and medical cleaning markets;
- In 1993, Kay Chemical was acquired;
- In 1997, acquired Gibson Chemical Industries Ltd of Australia;
- In 1998, acquired GCS Service Inc;
- In 2001, it purchased a 50% stake in the European joint venture Henkel-Ecolab held by its partner Henkel, and Henkel continued to hold a 29.5% stake in Ecolab Inc.;
- In January 2004, Ecolab split the cleaning and sanitation and medical businesses;
- In 2008, Henkel liquidated all of Ecolab’s 29.5% equity (73 million shares);
- On July 20, 2011, Ecolab Group announced the acquisition of Nalco Holding Company, Inc., a global leader in water treatment and process improvement services, for US$5.4 billion. Nalco provides sustainable water management Develop services, with business covering more than 150 countries and regions. In December 2011, Nalco became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ecolab Group;
- In May 2012, Microsoft founder Bill Gates increased the shareholding of Ecolab Inc. from 10.8% to 25% through its investment and fund companies-Cascade Investment and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation;
- In October 2012, Ecolab announced the acquisition of Champion Technologies, and the transaction was completed in April 2013;
- In November 2015, Ecolab acquired the US business of Swisher Hygiene (formerly NASDAQ:SWSH) for US $40.5 million , which provides sanitation and disinfection solutions for the food service, hotel, retail and healthcare markets;
- In July 2016, Ecolab made a small equity investment in Aquatech International, LLC.